FedUp just reboots

Ville-Pekka Vainio vpvainio at iki.fi
Sat Dec 1 19:10:41 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T430 with EFI enabled and Fedora 17 installed.
I tried to use FedUp to upgrade it to Fedora 18. The first problem was
that the system for some reason had both grub-efi and grub2 installed,
so FedUp's grubby call failed. I fixed that by removing the grub2 packages.

The second problem was more difficult. When I chose System Upgrade from
Grub, the system seemed to boot but then immediately rebooted as well.
Maybe something in the upgrade scripts failed and caused the reboot?

I managed to start the upgrade by changing the systemd target to
systemd.unit=rescue.target on the Grub command line and then when the
system booted to the rescue mode, I ran systemctl isolate
system-upgrade.target . Now the upgrade is running but I've seen a
couple of SELinux messages, I guess I'll find out soon if the system is
completely hosed ;)

--
Ville-Pekka Vainio