Rename anaconda to cryptoconda?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 19:27:41 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Mateusz Marzantowicz <
mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl> wrote:

> To be honest - it's very confusing. I've managed to install Fedora 18
> over my old Fedora 17 side by side with Windows 7 and I feel so geeky
> now. I spent about 15 minutes only partitioning (not changed anything,
> only reattached what was done in Fedora 17) in new installer. Now I'm
> very happy that I know all that things about different partition types,
> file systems, LVM's, raids, etc. but regular user is dead by now.

The way I see it... any partitioning screen must start with the "real
world" view (physical) disk drives detected, and the partitions detected on
each, so the user sees for instance:
-----
Your PC currently has:

Samsung 750MB IDE HD (MODEL. HDD_yxz, IDE PORT 1, MASTER)
which contains
LVM
WINXP (NTFS) xx GB
EXT3 (Linux Fedora xyz)
SWAP

Seagate 1TB SATA HD (MODEL. HST_yxz, SATA PORT 1)
which contains:
EXT4 partition (999 MB)

-----

This is useful since on modern systems with lots of SATA ports or mixed
IDE-SATA drives the users canĀ“t always be 100% sure that the drive at the
HDD bay is actually the one which is mounted first by the BIOS... (manual
changing of boot order etc).

Then a series of "step by step" actions like:

-. Deciding if you want to ERASE (remove) any of the existing partitions to
make room
-. Decide if you want to RESIZE any of the current partitions (ie to make
room for install).
-. Deciding WHERE you want to install Linux

In the end, a screen should be presented telling the user to CONFIRM he
wants to install Linux on partition X on drive Y, and that this will result
in loss of data on partitions x,y,z. (if any), before any data has been
written to HD.

Something like the EaseUS Partition Manager, which I gave to my old man and
he was able to repartition his HDD without any previous experience with
such utils

http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Partition-Master-Home-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html

Screenshot:
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2011/09/14/182965fd713d0a0e7914458106a437abbe56_1free-partition-manager_540x401.gif