"safe" install for fedora 18

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 13:47:06 UTC 2012

I came up with a way to install fedora 18 on my main system
without any worries that the cryptic partitioning interface
might wind up wiping out my system. I liked it so much I
may install fedora this way from now on. Here's my technique:

1. Install f18 in a brand new virtual machine.
2. Shutdown the VM
3. Mount the virtual filesystem with guestmount.
4. Format the real partition I want to install on.
5. rsync the guestmount to the new empty partition
6. edit the grub.cfg and fstab and wot-not in the new copy
   (to deal with UUID, root=, etc).
7. chroot into the new parition and run grub-install
8. Boot the new partition and see that it works.

It works great. I can leave my system up and running while
doing the install. I can feel pretty darn safe that anaconda
inside the VM won't be clobbering anything outside the VM.
A little tricky to find all the things that need to be edited,
but I can record that info so it will be simpler in the future.