community etiquette (Re: Rename anaconda to cryptoconda?)

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 5 00:37:54 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-04 09:46 (GMT-0800) Adam Williamson composed:

> On Tue, 2012-12-04 at 05:35 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

>> The results I found have been two years in the making? Yikes!!!

> Yes. I do keep saying this stuff is hard and encouraging you to read the
> design documentation and relevant blogs to understand how we got to
> where we are. I don't know why this is apparently so difficult.

Maybe not everyone here knows why, but I refuse to believe _you_ don't.
Combing docs is un-fun, made less fun by their mass, and even more so by
Fedora's web doc presentation.

> no 'n00b' has tried it at all yet, as n00bs don't run Fedora
> betas.

I don't know. It's often the case a n00b with a new puter wants to try Linux,
does so, finds his hardware is too new to be supported by the latest release
version, and gets a suggestion from a general purpose forum to try a
nearing-next-release beta.

> Sometimes being a multibooting expert who refuses to read documentation
> or explanations makes things harder, not easier. :)

It's really not so much refusal as un-fun impediment. Mailing list posts are
_much_ more fun, because they're virtually always legible, and presented by
normal humans instead of deezignerz.

> saying you'll
> only test something if it works really well appears to be putting the
> cart before the horse.

There's only really one feature I want from Anaconda, one which doesn't seem
to exist. Neither seems to exist a workaround or substitute for its absence.
I won't be the only one who wants it. Looking for it in a release version
would be too late, but looking for it often seems pointless. For now, yum
upgrading a minimal F17 installation in order to test F18B function lets me
spend more time evaluating things I can understand and less time frustrated
by unfamiliar paradigms.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/