new criterion proposal: core kickstart commands

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Wed Dec 5 14:15:45 UTC 2012

> I make heavy use of the %include directive which I don't see that
> you've mentioned anywhere. It's a rather fundamental feature for how
> I use kickstarts through livecd-tools to effect dynamic sections. I
> suppose I could revise my tools to create a dynamic, yet monolith
> kickstart script, but at present I have everything tooled to around
> a core kickstart script, numerous static helpers that get %included
> and several dynamic helpers that are also %included. Thus I'd
> appreciate seeing %include added to the criteria, if it's not too
> much of a pain.

Thanks, that would mean including %ksappend as well (very similar, but different use cases).

It's true that %include can be used to insert dynamic behavior into the kickstart based on the environment and the machine. Example:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart#Example

Some of the functionality might be tricky to work around - you can generate several versions of your kickstarts, all static (without %include), but then you have to know which kickstarts to run on which machines, and it could defeat some points of automation.

I'm not fully decided either way, maybe a bit in favor; I hope some people will comment here as well. Just keep in mind we want to keep the core command set small.