Manual Partitioning and LVM, Re: Puzzled

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Wed Dec 5 20:00:04 UTC 2012

On 12/05/2012 01:24 PM, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> On 12/05/2012 06:57 AM, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
>> As far as getting F18 installed, some of this is OBE because I used
>> fedup and it worked just fine so I now have a live F18 system for
>> testing.
>>
>> However, I would like the installer to work and of all the parts that
>> I consider critical, storage configuration is first in line. I
>> believe that the best way I can duplicate the problem and get some
>> documentation is to replicate it virtually and get some screenshots.
>> mmmm I wonder if the remote display still works?  I used that in the
>> past.  Now, if only I can remember how to do it.

>>> In Manual Partitioning, on the left side, you do not have an
>>> +Unknown listing located under -New Fedora 18 Installation? Or there
>>> are no LV's listed?
>> I will go back and double check but I do not remember seeing an LVs.
> No Logical Volumes listed.  There are only the regular partitions and
> the Physical Volume partitions listed under unknown.
>
> Did a pvscan which showed the three VGs on this system.  Then I did a
> lvscan which listed all of the Logical Volumes and showing them
> inactive.  Did a vgchange -a y <for-each-VG> and a of the LVs showed
> active.  I did the just after the first gui screen came up.
>
> When I got the manual storage configuration, no LVs shown.
>
> ??
>>
>> And, yes, I want to re-use previously allocated LVs for my install.

>>> What do you get for pvscan and lvscan? Are there inactive LVs?
>> I will need to check.

>>> I agree. But I think in your case the trail is leading to a bug not
>>> flawed design.
>>>
>> I am sure this is a bug.  However, I would like some button or
>> whatever "earlier" in the process that says "I know what I am doing,
>> let me manually configure existing partitions and/or LVs or allocate
>> new ones on mount points.
>
> Getting a screenshot in anaconda does not work anymore or I would give
> you one.
>
> Suggestions?

OK, I boot up the "live" gnome desktop and used it to install.  Yes, all
of the LVs were there and it figured out all of the installed/bootable
systems.  I was able to manually configure and re-use partitions.

BUT, it did not offer me a choice of where to install grub2 (MBR or boot
partition) ... it did MBR which was not too bad because I could easily
recover.

Gene