Reclaim disk space doesn't reuse existing swap, should it?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Dec 7 20:50:39 UTC 2012

On Dec 7, 2012, at 8:30 AM, John Reiser <jreiser at bitwagon.com> wrote:

> NO! NO! NO!  Do NOT format any partition, including swap partitions,
> except when explicitly requested.

I wish anaconda didn't force reformats to install, but it does and I think it's a problem.

> That would be a change from past practice.  Some of that change is good,
> but on a box with only one drive I should be able to install another OS
> which shares the same swap partition [on that drive] without having
> to edit /etc/fstab later, and without having the installer re-format
> the shared swap partition unless I explicitly request that.

Anaconda 18.36 does recognize the swap partition once it has the proper metadata, so merely partition type code 82 isn't enough. But whether "unknown" or "swap" autopart still creates a separate swap logical volume on the same disk, rather than reusing an existing swap.

For swap partition reuse, I'm suggesting only same disk reusage. But it's not clear to me that not reusing is a bug.

Chris Murphy