manual disk configuration problems

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Dec 8 07:36:18 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-12-07 at 16:35 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> What I'm trying to do: put F18 Beta on two drives
> I want the first 250 GB drive to have /boot /swap and /
> I want the second 2 TB drive to have /home
> I'm making /boot ext2 and all the other partitions ext4 (I haven't kept
> up with all the new filing systems, so maybe this is too backwards
> looking - I'm open to suggestions)
>
> But, filing systems is not my problem
> When I tried to do manual partitioning through the installation process,
> the screen kept freezing on me - it was random, but only happening in
> the manual partitioning pages; the mouse would still move the arrow, but
> all selections would become non-responsive

I think we have a bug for that, though I can't quite find the reference
right now. I believe it has been fixed post-Beta. Could you try again
with Final TC1 and see how it goes?

>  - I had previously been able
> to successfully manually partition a single drive with the same DVD
> install disk, but, I tried making a new one
> In between, I popped in a gparted disk and started it up and used it to
> partition my drives the way I wanted
> Now, back in F18 anaconda manual partitioning pages with a new DVD
> install disk, I've selected each of the partitions, given them their
> correct mount points, and selected reformatting - however, pressing
> apply doesn't appear to do anything,

The button's name can be somewhat misleading. It doesn't actually
*perform* the operations you are planning: it just 'applies the changes'
in the sense of updating the left-hand pane with any mount point and
size changes you've made to the currently-selected partition.

All actual partitioning operations take place during the first part of
the install process, when you hit the "Begin Installation" button on the
hub.

>  and if I press continue, I get an
> error message saying it can't check the storage configuration.

That sounds like you somehow failed the custom partitioning exam. F-,
see me after class. :) Seriously - can you explain in more detail
exactly what options you set in the custom part screen? Maybe we can
figure out what's wrong.