what is suppose to work?

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Mon Dec 10 21:55:06 UTC 2012

On 12/10/2012 02:33 PM, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> As I see it, the problem with btrfs is that you cannot really "reuse"
> a btrfs subvolume in every circumstance.  In some cases such as /home,
> it should be and better be) possible ... have not tested this yet
> because I got hung up trying to reuser btrfs root because you really
> cannot do that.  To reuse, you need to delete that subvolume and then
> "reuse/reclaim" the space ... you cannot reformat it because the only
> thing that is formatted is the storage pool.
OK, after a little more testing (with TC1 livecd-xfce-desktop), I find
that anaconda (neither F17 nor F18) is really ready to handle btrfs.
Just how btrfs will be used needs more work IIUC.  Anaconda deals with
partitions and partition-like LVs.  But with btrfs you have subvolumes
which somewhat separate, share freespace in a pool.

As I see it here are some of the issues which need to be addressed ...

[NOTE: I am not faulting Fedora, Anaconda, Red Hat, and specifically not
the folks working on the new and better anaconda in F18!  This is not
easy and will need a lot of thinking, planning, designing, and implementing]

1. btrfs has subvolumes ... need to be able to delete specific one as
well as create new subvolumes without starting from scratch.

2. Need to be able to handle multiple btrfs pools and support a user's
specification for which pool is to be used.

3.  Handle predefined pools and subvolumes.

4. During an install, be able to add partitions and/or disks to a btrfs
pool.

If anyone has some tests, etc. I would be willing to spend some time
with this.

Gene