An arbitrarily sized /tmp does not fit all

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Dec 20 21:17:56 UTC 2012

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 01:03:37PM -0800, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> For whatever reason Anaconda generates a separate file system for /tmp
> using an arbitrary size.  One one machine it is about 4GB, causing Brasero
> to fail on larger jobs.  Meanwhile there is some 30GB unused in the root
> filesystem.
> If /tmp is no longer part of / then its size should be easily adjustable.

Check the filesystem -- it's in RAM by default using tmpfs, and tmpfs
defaults to a size of half of physical ram. To disable and go back to haivng it be part of /,

  sudo systemctl mask tmp.mount

To change the limit while leaving it in-ram, I assume you'd put the desired
size in the Options line in the systemd tmp.mount file, but there may be a
better way.

I believe the argument is that if Brasero needs more space, /var/tmp would
be a better place.