What has changed and/or how to control

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Dec 21 14:29:18 UTC 2012

> On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 19:26:47 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:

>>> Is "PackageKit-command-not-found" installed?
>> It was not installed....
>> Installing it "corrected" the problem.
> That's the wrong conclusion. ;-)
>
> It's an optional extension to search for missing commands in remote
> repositories (via PackageKit). Many users uninstall it because it
> has caused side-effects, such as delays or altered messages or it
> fails always because the default search time limit is too low.
>
> If the problem is not reproducible with PackageKit-c-n-f installed,
> the problem is _not in that_ package.

I suppose I don't quite understand your meaning.....

There is no command "八" on the system.  So, just like

[egreshko at localhost ~]$ adsfadsf
bash: adsfadsf: command not found...

Returns the actual "command name" as typed, I expect.

[egreshko at localhost ~]$ 八
bash: 八: command not found...

With PackageKit-c-n-f installed that is what I get....

With PackageKit-c-n-f removed I get....

[egreshko at localhost ~]$ 八
bash: $'\345\205\253': command not found

So, installing it gives me what I expect/want.  Therefore, I can't see why my conclusion is wrong.