An arbitrarily sized /tmp does not fit all

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Fri Dec 21 19:06:29 UTC 2012

Panu Matilainen (pmatilai at laiskiainen.org) said:
> >Check the filesystem -- it's in RAM by default using tmpfs, and tmpfs
> >defaults to a size of half of physical ram. To disable and go back to haivng it be part of /,
> >
> >   sudo systemctl mask tmp.mount
> >
> >To change the limit while leaving it in-ram, I assume you'd put the desired
> >size in the Options line in the systemd tmp.mount file, but there may be a
> >better way.
> >
> >I believe the argument is that if Brasero needs more space, /var/tmp would
> >be a better place.
>
> This is a fine example of what a facepalm (to put it mildly) the
> whole /tmp-on-tmpfs is, really...

How so? I imagine there are many desktop systems (I know I've deployed some) where
all the spare space is on /home, and don't leave 8GB spare in / for
dual-layer DVD isos. (Or Blu-ray, or whatever).

Brasero should be checking the size beforehand, checking available
writable-by-user space, and doing the right thing for the user (including
asking them where appropriate), not just 'failing'. How much of this it
does now, I haven't checked.

Bill