F18 partitioning LVM Question....

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Dec 27 16:31:54 UTC 2012

On Dec 26, 2012, at 7:11 AM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:

> On 12/26/2012 08:51 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> On Dec 26, 2012, at 5:03 AM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
>>
>>> What I wanted to do was create a large physical volume and then create several logical volumes within and some un-allocated space.  I want to do this since I'm not certain as to the ultimate size needs of the partitions as time goes by.  So, if need be, I can add to a partition or shrink a partition.
>>>
>>> I could find no way to do this in the "customize" partition layout of F18.  I'm pretty sure it could be done in F17.
>>>
>>> Am I missing something or is this feature not yet available but planned?
>> I'm not understanding what point you're getting lost. On a 2TB disk, I can create one partition that goes to an LVM VG, from which I create four LVs: swap, root, boot, home. 4GB, 50GB, 500MB, and 50GB respectively. The remaining 1.99TB is unallocated.
>>
>> BTW this single partition, everything in LVM, is GRUB2 bootable.
>
> Well, maybe I'm confused....  So, would you mind to show the output of "pvscan" for your system?

I have no idea what this is going to tell you, but here it is…

  PV /dev/sda1   VG f18one          lvm2 [80.00 GiB / 80.00 GiB free]
  PV /dev/sdb1                      lvm2 [80.00 GiB]
  Total: 2 [160.00 GiB] / in use: 1 [80.00 GiB] / in no VG: 1 [80.00 GiB]

You clearly said you wanted "a large physical volume" which means one disk. So you select one disk in the first Installation Destination window, continue forward making sure in Installation Options you check "let me customize" which brings you to Manual Partitioning.

By default, LVM is used. So all mount points except Boot that you create will be LVs. The size of the VG will be exactly the combined size of the LVs. And the partition created will be the size of the VG as well. The rest will be unallocated which is what you said you wanted.

If you mean you want a single partition consuming the whole disk, all of it in the VG, but to specify LVs that don't use all of the space in the VG, no you can't do that within anaconda. You'd need to do that in a shell first: partition, make it a pv, add it to a VG, then run anaconda. Any mount points you create will by default become LV's using that VG.

Chris Murphy