mdraid with encrypted fs

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Feb 14 03:13:57 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-13 at 21:04 -0600, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> > I'd suggest that this is 'supported' in terms of the release criteria,
> > under the Final criterion "The installer must be able to create and
> > install to any workable partition layout using any file system offered
> > in a default installer configuration, LVM, software, hardware or BIOS
> > RAID, or combination of the above": we don't explicitly list encryption
> > there, but we probably should, and I'd read the intent of the criterion
> > as being that encryption should be covered. So, I'd say you could
> > propose your bug as a Final blocker.
>
> It looks like it has just been marked as a Beta blocker.

It's been proposed as one - because, according to dlehman, the
encryption isn't actually relevant; it seems the issue will affect any
system which has an mdraid partition on upgrade.

> > As far as 'should there be a test case' - well, it's kind of a tricky
> > question: there are essentially unlimited permutations when it comes to
> > filesystem layout, and we can't have a test case for*every single one*,
> > especially not a test case that must be done for the release to proceed.
> > There'd be no harm at all in you drawing up a test case for this
> > scenario, but whether we should add it to the matrices and especially
> > whether we should mark it as Final (indicating it has to be completed
> > for the release to ship) is a more difficult question.
>
> Your test matrix already includes RAID and encryption but not together.

Yes - it has, what, a hundred or so tests? Most of those could be
combined with at least one of the others...you don't need to be able to
do the math very precisely to realize that we can't, practically
speaking, have a test case for *every possible combination* :)

> The problem post-release is that how do I upgrade? Wait for F17 for a
> fix? Roll my own installer ISO? Use yum?

You can ask in the bug for an updates image for the F16 installer. See
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Updates .