[Test-Announce] Proven tester status

Vincent L. fedact at beyond-m42.net
Thu Feb 16 02:35:47 UTC 2012

On 02/13/2012 09:30 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> Note that statistics are still gathered and that future changes might depend
> on whether or not proventesters do a better job than average of correctly
> tagging builds as good or bad.

Probably stating the obvious, and I am new around here, but the biggest
challenge I see is that testing is not well defined.   Certainly for the
core items standard regressions or checklists of what items should be
validated etc do not seem to be present [ or at least i can't find any
].   This naturally leads to inconsistent approaches to testing from
tester to tester.

There are a lot of packages, and likely a lack of staffing/volunteers to
develop and maintain testplans.   However as in most commercial release
management having these things would help ensure each tester validated
things in a similar fashion and ensure better release quality.

May I ask how many "proventesters" there are ballpark -vs- how many
approximate testers of standard status participate at any given time ?