F17 Alpha RC2

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Feb 17 21:30:44 UTC 2012

> > > I've seen that fail in all my test installs, but it hasn't actually
> > > prevented boot.
> >
> > Package "plymouth" was not installed here. Huh?
> >
> > That also breaks plymouth-scripts: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/794894
> >
> > After installing "plymouth", I got the boot animation _and_ the LUKS
> > passphrase prompt!
>
> Heh. Well, that would explain it.
>
> It does seem like nothing compels the installation of plymouth. plymouth
> itself is not listed in comps, only:
>
> comps-f17.xml.in:      <packagereq type="default">plymouth-system-theme</packagereq>
>
> but plymouth-system-theme doesn't require plymouth, directly or
> indirectly. The only things that *do* require plymouth are
> plymouth-devel and sugar-logos.
>
> I'll have to look at F16 and see what changed there...

Ah. So the difference appears to be that dracut in F16 requires
plymouth, while dracut in F17 does not.

This appears to be the change in dracut:

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=dracut.git;a=commitdiff;h=6adbc8b2385f395f211937b707b0c0c321179e3f

which changes it from requiring a particular plymouth version to
conflicting with any older plymouth version.

I'm not sure if we need to re-add an explicit dependency on plymouth in
dracut, or add a dependency elsewhere, or add plymouth to comps.