Criterion proposal - keyboard layouts

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Feb 20 23:42:39 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-20 at 20:59 +0100, drago01 wrote:
> We currently don't have any explicit criterion that mandates that
> keyboard layouts choose in the installer should work in the installed
> system.
> As a maintainer of one of the packages involved there
> (system-setup-keyboard) I see such bugs in basically every release,
> during the development cycle.
>
> We should pay more attention to such issues as a system that uses a
> different keyboard layout as the one physically present can not only
> be very annoying (we shouldn't release in that state) but
> can be useless when you have special characters in your password(s).
> (Can't easily decrypt / login).
>
> As seen in  https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2011-March/097859.html
> we do currently have a paragraph that mentions this but is IMO way to
> vague.
>
> So I propose something like: "The keyboard layout selected in the
> installer must be in use after rebooting the installer (plymouth and
> X)".

I wish I had better background on it, but I'm pretty sure we did discuss
having an explicit criterion before going with the 'vague' paragraph
instead. All that mail (by me) says is that I didn't think a specific
criterion 'worked well', which is pretty useless looking back - sigh.

One problem I do remember is that, in practice, we don't really want to
block the release if a single extremely obscure keyboard layout turns
out to be broken at the last minute; that's one factor in favor of the
vague hand-wavey judgment call paragraph. We want to block only on
reasonably popularly-used layouts, your Frenches and Germans and
whatevers, but it's a bit hard to write a criterion that properly
restricts the list without being too restrictive.

Still, I'm not really against the criterion, just trying to remember the
thought process from before.