My task for the next ~6 months

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Feb 21 02:16:18 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-20 at 09:49 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

> Needless to say now 6000+ components later we have no more how to debug
> or how to test pages then we did back then which makes it pretty evident
> that unless fesco/fpc make it mandatory you will be chasing your tail
> and other maintainers for a long time before it's completed.

We do have a _few_ more, I think. But not many indeed.

> I appraise your efforts in taking up the torch where I left it and my
> advice to you is start with the critical path packages then work your
> way up from there.

Yeah - I don't think it's reasonable to think about 'completing' this
task, it's more a case just of getting some Greatest Hits done.

As Johann says, critical path stuff is an obvious place to start. I'd
say perhaps the obvious thing to do is start from comps:

http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=comps.git;a=blob;f=comps-f17.xml.in;h=b531724a21901c5be91f5309cb8d05c3434ac256;hb=HEAD

and look at the packages in the Core and critical-path-* groups. Now you
have a much shorter list to work from.

The next criterion I'd probably apply is the volatility of the package:
some of the critical path packages very rarely change much, some of them
get changes _all the time_. Obviously the ones which get a lot of
updates should be higher priorities for getting documentation.