My task for the next ~6 months

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Feb 21 02:25:04 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-20 at 17:34 -0500, Samuel Greenfeld wrote:
> In my view, the big questions in that thread were (1) what are we
> trying to accomplish with a test day

This is always a key question to ask :)

>  and (2) if we need to have test cases for test days in the first
> place.

As a point of general theory, the answer should certainly be 'no': we
should never be too dogmatic about formats. Fundamentally the Test Day
concept is just that, a concept which we hope is helpful in getting
testing for a project. If test cases aren't useful to your goals for
your test day, then don't have any!

In *practice*, though, I have a tough time really thinking of a
real-world test day event which doesn't need any test cases. I can
_certainly_ imagine a test day which uses test cases that don't come
from the Fedora wiki and look a bit different to our typical Fedora QA
'test case' format, though. That's absolutely fine.

> OLPC has a set of test cases in their Wiki, but's a bit stale, and the
> current implementation makes them hard to go through.
>
> I could write a set of Sugar test cases for Fedora purposes, but then
> I would have to justify spending the time to my boss for doing so.

I'm not familiar with the details, but in this case it certainly sounds
like it would make more sense to fix up the test cases in the OLPC wiki
than write a whole bunch of new ones that would live in the Fedora wiki.

>  My personal view is that while the extremes are interesting, I've
> read books talking about both, and the truth is somewhere in-between.)

As any liberal arts student will tell you, this is an absolutely
copper-bottomed position to take on any question at all. ;)