Grub2 mkconfig

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 17:14:35 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 8:38 AM, Timothy Davis <cpuobsessed at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-02-22 at 08:22 -0700, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Timothy Davis <cpuobsessed at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Once again grub2 has installed dozens (at least 20) different entries in my
>> > boot menu. I understand that Fedora is bleeding edge and not for the feint
>> > of heart
>> > I accept that and have no problem tweaking anything. But come on now! I feel
>> > like I should just rewrite the mkconfig program.
>> > My system is as follows: 160Gb IDE (Windows 7), 120Gb IDE (stuff ext4),
>> > 160Gb SATA (swap, f16x64, ubuntu 11.10, slackware 13.37, vector linux 6 kde
>> > classic, f17 alpha) 250Gb SATA 4Gb boot and the rest is home
>> > I know my setup is not typical and tweaking boot will always happen
>>
>> Is it just the (recovery mode entries bothering you?  Add
>> 'GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY=true' to /etc/default/grub kill those.
>>
>> -T.C.
>>
> It's not the recovery mode entry that bothers me, but the fact that for
> all of the kernels in my boot parttion gets assigned to F17 or what
> every the last distro installed. Maybe the mkconfig program isn't samrt
> enought or maybe I should go ahead and write my own.

You share a boot partition between all the distros?  Yeah,
grub2-mkconfig as it stands really has no way of figuring out which
one's which in that case.

You don't strictly have to edit/rewrite grub2-mkconfig, as long as
Fedora is the only distro messing with GRUB.  Fedora does not rerun
grub2-mkconfig on update, the grub2.cfg is patched by grubby.  If you
go in and fix /boot/grub2/grub.cfg, it should stay.  (This is *not*
the case for most other distros, however.)

If you do want to hack on grub2-mkconfig, it runs scripts located in
/etc/grub.d/ to make up the configuration.  See /etc/grub.d/README for
details.  Note that changes there could get clobbered on grub2
updates, so be careful.

-T.C.