Experiences with F17-Alpha-RC4

Joachim Backes joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Thu Feb 23 07:32:53 UTC 2012

Hi,

I made a fresh F17 desktop (gnome3) installation on my box to a real
partition with F17/Alpha/RC4: No problems during install, the system
runs immediately. Applying all available updates.

But there are some flaws:

1. No sound with "00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7
   Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)." The output
   device is not shown by the "system settings" menu.

2. Font "True" not found during boot. The kernel line in
   /boot/grub2/grub.cfg contains such a SYSFONT parameter:

   linux	/boot/vmlinuz-3.3.0-0.rc3.git7.2.fc17.x86_64
		root=LABEL=F17 ro rd.md=0 rd.lvm=0 rd.dm=0
                *SYSFONT=True* rd.luks=0
                KEYTABLE=de-latin1-nodeadkeys LANG=en_US.UTF-8
		rhgb quiet

3. One ugly problem after quitting a gnome3 session: logging in again
   (via gdm login window) shows in most cases the well know "Oh nO!
   something has gone wrong, logout!" dialog. Searching a little bit in
   /var/log/messages, I saw that there are some (unspecified) problems
   with /run/user/<user> and/or dot files in /tmp. I could get rid from
   these login problems by removing some files as

    /tmp/.ICE-unix /tmp/.X11-unix /tmp/.X0-lock /run/user/<user>

    and then login again

4. The login after having entered the password takes a lot
   of time

Anybody made similar experiences?

Kind regards

Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>