Grub2 mkconfig

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 08:14:40 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Timothy Davis <cpuobsessed at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's not the recovery mode entry that bothers me, but the fact that for
> all of the kernels in my boot parttion gets assigned to F17 or what
> every the last distro installed. Maybe the mkconfig program isn't samrt
> enought or maybe I should go ahead and write my own.

I don't have an install to look at at the moment but I'm not surprised
that (assuming that F17's the "last distro installed") all your
entries are called "F17..." given that you have the same 4GB "/boot"
for all your distros. I don't have copies of "10_linux",
"grub2-mkconfig", and "grub2-mkconfig_lib" (or maybe it's not renamed
in Fedora and is "grub-mkconfig_lib") but I suspect that it's not only
the "menuentry" titles that are the same in "grub.cfg" but that the
"root=" values on the "linux" lines are all the same too and not
pointing to the slackware "/" for the slackware kernels and the ubuntu
"/" for the ubuntu kernels. Maybe you can combine the logic of
"10_linux" and "30_os=prober" for grub2-mkconfig to do what you'd like
it to do.