Grub2 mkconfig

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Feb 23 20:14:00 UTC 2012

Once upon a time, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> said:
> On Thu, 2012-02-23 at 09:40 -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> > That's what I used to do, but it didn't work for me with F16 and GRUB2.
> > I get a warning that I shouldn't install GRUB2 to a partition and then
> > an error about there not being enough space.
>
> You can use --force to make grub2 install to a partition.

If I run "grub2-install /dev/sda6", I get:

/sbin/grub2-setup: warn: Attempting to install GRUB to a partitionless disk or to a partition.  This is a BAD idea..
/sbin/grub2-setup: error: embedding is not possible, but this is required for cross-disk install.

--force makes no difference.

/dev/sda6 is actually part of a software RAID1; "grub2-install /dev/md3"
segfaults.  Somebody else has already put this in BZ as 788830.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>