VirtualBox and test releases

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Thu Feb 23 22:02:43 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-02-23 at 16:00 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> I'm trying to test Fedora 17 RC4 in a Virtual Box environment. I had
> problems doing this with F16 as well. It is up and running, but
> tortuously slow. I noticed that it complained when I was installing the
> guest additions about the 'experimental x' version.

VirtualBox insists that they can't possibly have stable upstreamable X
drivers, because they don't want to have internal ABI compatibility
between their virtual GPU and their drivers, because waaaaaaaaaaaaaa
that's so haaaaaaaaard.

Therefore you're probably falling onto the (still very unoptimized)
llvmpipe path for software gnome-shell.

Feel free to ask VirtualBox when they're going to learn how ABI
compatibility works.  Until then I can't possibly recommend using
VirtualBox to run experimental guests OSes.  (Even then I still wouldn't
recommend running VirtualBox, but that's just me preferring to run code
that doesn't make me vomit to read.)

- ajax