CPU getting hot or maybe not

Frederic Muller fred at cm17.com
Mon Jan 2 03:59:51 UTC 2012

Hi!

As written in my previous message my laptop gets shutdown within minutes
(below 15 minutes) after using it under Rawhide. This is not something I
experienced under F16, though I have 2 add a bit of context:
- this is a T60 thinkpad (rather old piece of hardware)
- I never had fan issues under the fan broke down (or the sensor) and I
replaced it with a new one
- This happened at the same time I switch distro from Debian / Ubuntu (I
was going back and forth) to F14.
- Since my early usage of Fedora I have noticed some thermal issue
preventing me at times to restart my machine after long hours of usage
or a yum update. This had never happened before but I don't want to
blame Fedora for it at all (and rather identify the root cause of the
problem).

So now that I am with Rawhide since yesterday this thermal issue has hit
me big time making my machine unusable. TOP sometimes gives very high
CPU usage for xorg (up to 65%) but not every time. Most time xorg is at
around 14% CPU time. I have disabled my external monitor thinking it
might help to ease xorg's pain.

Now I do touch my laptop to see if it feels hot and it is not really hot
as it could have been when I experienced the issue in the past with
F14/15/16. It could be though, that the heat didn't have enough time to
propagate to the 'outer' parts.

How would you guys go on and troubleshoot the issue? (and yes the fan is
turning as I can heart it).

Thanks a lot.

Fred