CPU getting hot or maybe not

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Jan 3 13:24:23 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 17:09:07 +0800,
  Frederic Muller <fred at cm17.com> wrote:
> On 01/03/2012 04:01 PM, drago01 wrote:
> >
> >This sounds like the debug enabled kernel is causing all this (there
> >was a similar issue in the past iirc).
> >Does running the F16 kernel on top of rawhide fix your issues?
>
> How would I do that? I've altered my setup to be able to easily
> switch from F16 to Rawhide while still working on my 'real work' so
> I don't mind giving it a go (and it's fast).

Recently I haven't been running f16 kernels on rawhide because of a
recent dependency change in f16 to require a higher version of a package
than is in rawhide. The rawhide package has the needed change so you
could do a nodeps install.

The debugging kernels since 3.1 seem to be worse than they were in the
past. For some people this was significantly impacting their display
performance, for myself, my I/O performance tanked. I use luks on top
of raid and I think the I/O is becoming CPU bound instead of disk bound
on my system.

My current solution is to rebuild kernels with most of the debug options
turned back off. I have a git branch with change to the debugging options
and when there is a new update I update my copy of the master branch,
megre master to my nodebug branch and then do a local build.