Change of release level of Mediakit ISO Size test case

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Jan 31 18:29:08 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-01-31 at 11:05 -0500, Petr Schindler wrote:

> > We made this Beta not Alpha in the criteria on purpose, specifically
> > because we don't think it's a significant enough problem if the lives
> > are over-size at Alpha stage. It *may* be worth requiring at least
> > the
> > DVD to meet size requirements at Alpha size, although even if it's
> > over,
> > you can still test it in a VM or with a USB stick. I definitely think
> > we
> > shouldn't make the live sizes mandatory at Alpha.
>
> Here I don't know. I test in pre-alpha phase only on my VMs. When I
> want to boot on bare metal, I use USB stick. But it's truth that
> nothing new should be added after alpha. So the size of images should
> be quite the same then or not? Still I think it could be in beta.

When we talk about 'nothing being added' after Alpha we're really
talking about major features. The package sets on the media can, and do,
change. It doesn't happen so much lately, but it's been the case in the
past that the Alpha live images were, say, 800MB, because no-one had yet
trimmed the package set down to keep them under a CD in size. Then they
did get properly trimmed down for Beta or Final. We don't want to block
the Alpha if this happens.