Linking negative karma points to a reported bug

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Jul 2 00:58:44 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-06-30 at 11:09 +0200, Till Maas wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 04:38:18PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Sat, 2012-06-30 at 01:13 +0200, Till Maas wrote:
> >
> > > Nevertheless it seems to be easy to workaround, for example by using the
> > > whiteboard as an additional way to propose blocker/NTH bugs. It should
> > > even be possible to write an additional service that scans for bugs with
> > > the respective whiteboard field and adding the bug to the respective
> > > tracker bug.
> >
> > The problem with the whiteboard field is it's too vulnerable to error:
> > you can typo easily, and anyone putting anything else there can
> > intentionally or inadvertently overwrite what anyone else has put in it.
> > It's such a fragile field I'm never happy relying on it...even using it
> > for accepted/rejected status as we do now was meant to be a stopgap.
>
> If for example all Bugzilla notification mails are screened for changes
> in the whiteboard field, it would be enough for someone to add it
> properly once to notify the blocker/NTH committee of its existence.
>
> > Adjusting the process for nominating blockers is a legitimate way out of
> > the problem, of course, but I don't think using the whiteboard field is
> > a good alternative. Any other ideas? :)
>
> Other ideas:
> - Screening for special keywords in comments
> - Allowing to add blocker proposals to a wiki page and screen changes
> - Allow to send blocker proposals to a special e-mail address
> - Provide a special web app where bug IDs can be entered

I'm not a huge fan of any of these because they all require manual
translation of the request, and that's something that's always going to
go wrong at some point. What the current method achieves is it feeds the
nomination straight into our actual blocker handling workflow, which is
entirely centred around Bugzilla. There's no manual 'handling' of the
nomination needed, it's just...done. I'd definitely like to keep that
element.