Beware of rebooting in rawhide right now

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sun Jul 8 04:44:27 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 08, 2012 at 15:03:35 +1200,
   Roger Barraud <roger.barraud at gmail.com> wrote:
>Is there a suggested recovery strategy for backing out to a bootable state?

I tried doing it on one machine but didn't have much luck because the
minium requirements for several packages all changed at once and the old
udev stuff was obsoleted. I managed to toast the root file system on one
machine, but I don't think that was directly caused by the bugs.

If you roll back everything to when the rc5 git0 kernel was built, things
should work except for encrypted home and you can still mount home (and
encrypted swap) if need be and then start graphical.target.

If you have an older initramfs image saved you probably don't need to go
back quite that far, as I don't think things got really broken until
until Tuesday. With systemd-185-7.gite7aee75.fc18 you can probably boot
again. However I think the update following that (systemd-186-1.fc18) was
the one that obsoleted a udev package. I remember trying to go back and
having troubles getting everything I needed. But I had already toasted
a chunk of the root file system by then and am not sure which issue
was blocking things.

I have been thinking about how I might try to handle recovering my other
rawhide system, but was really hoping there'd be a fixed systemd I could
update to, rather than try a complicated downgrade.

I am going to use an f15 live image to mount my file systems and chroot
so that I can use yum to do upgrades or downgrades as needed.