will F18 allow simultaneous installation of more than one desktop?

Chris Lumens clumens at redhat.com
Mon Jul 9 20:43:47 UTC 2012

> Idea: the installer branches just from the beginning:
>
> -Easy install (only installs Gnome)
>
> -Advanced install (shows a big warning screen about installng multiple
> DEs, could be confusing, not recommended for newcomers, your pet could
> die, etc etc ).
>
> bingo, both sides pleased.
>
> See? It wasn´t so difficult after all.. :P

(1) In our experience, most people will decide they are advanced (they
genuinely think they are advanced, or don't want to feel like they're
missing something, etc.) so there's little point to dividing the
interface like this.

(2) Maintaining two interfaces is a nightmare.

(3) The time for making major design decisions was the first half of
2011, when we started talking about this.

- Chris