today's yum dependency issues for rawhide

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Jul 11 21:49:34 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 16:39:28 -0500,
   Kevin Martin <ktmdms at gmail.com> wrote:

>Please explain why that makes any difference in this discussion.  I'm not sure I see the relevance; vlc want's the 0 version, the
>others want the 1 version, so what?

To get the .1 version the library needs to be updated, but that would remove
the .0 version which is required by vlc. Rather than remove vlc, the update
is blocked. This also blocks the update of packages to versions that require
the .1 version.

Some libraries to provide compatibility versions, but those are special
circumstances.