today's yum dependency issues for rawhide

Sandro Mani manisandro at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 22:39:12 UTC 2012

On 07/11/2012 11:39 PM, Kevin Martin wrote:
> On 07/11/2012 01:18 PM, Sandro Mani wrote:

>>> The funny thing is that while vlc is *one* of the packages that has libudev dependencies there are a whole bunch more non-rpmfusion
>>> packages that have libudev dependencies as well:
>>>
>> [...]
>> Yeah, but vlc wants libudev.so.0()(64bit), the other ones libudev.so.1()(64bit).
>>
> Please explain why that makes any difference in this discussion.  I'm not sure I see the relevance; vlc want's the 0 version, the
> others want the 1 version, so what?
>
> Kevin

The numbers following the .so extension of a shared library denote the
version. When the binary interface (ABI) to the library changes, the
number gets "bumped", i.e. increased. ABI changes mean that the
addresses to symbols change, and consquently all applications using that
library need to be recompiled, simply to get the new addresses (or to
discover that a certain symbol does not exist anymore due to API changes).