Root priviledges needed to poweroff

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Jul 25 18:46:51 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-07-25 at 14:12 -0400, ergodic wrote:
> Thanks for your reply Adam.
> Why then reboot does not complain? Reboot executes immediatly.
> All those directives  link to consolehelper or to systemctl, which should ask for authentication if another user is logged.

I don't think that's correct. consolehelper isn't that sophisticated,
AIUI, it can't vary its behaviour conditionally like that. I don't
recall 'reboot' _ever_ working the same way.

I just tested on two F17 machines and running 'reboot' as a regular user
happily reboots the system even if root is logged in at VT2, no warning
or authentication required. That does seem to make the 'protection' on
the graphical reboot button a bit pointless, but meh.