Using Fedora Spins as a measure of release readiness

Brendan Jones brendan.jones.it at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 15:22:12 UTC 2012

On 06/12/2012 04:54 PM, Samuel Greenfeld wrote:
> I would like to propose adding more test days for spins to the Fedora QA
> process.
>
> Fedora Spins ( http://spins.fedoraproject.org/ ) are customized Live CDs
> which can easily be given to volunteers to test.  They are convenient,
> pre-grouped sets of related items arranged in a logical fashion.
>
> Some of them are a bit obscure; but touch functionality which is not
> looked at often.
>
> If we can regularly test spins and add test cases for them, then we can
> get better manual test coverage without forcing testers to install
> packages they do not regularly use.
>
> It may be a bit crazy to have a test day for every spin every release
> cycle; but hopefully the spinners are looking at them every cycle already.
>
> ---
> SJG

A new Fedora Audio Spin will be prepared for this release and is part of
a Summer of Code project - I imagine we will be wanting to schedule a
test day for this, but I'll defer that to the student.

One has to be mindful of the fact that errors uncovered in the Spins
testing may have no relevance on the default desktop at all. Spin
kickstarts add and remove packages as the requirement dictates and this
may introduce errors. However, a group primarily focussed on audio may
uncover errors in that domain (pulseaudio for example) where normal
testing has not.

regards,

Brendan