not able to boot Rawhide 3.5.0-0.rc4 kernels in runlevel 3

Andre Robatino robatino at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 27 16:10:40 UTC 2012

Adam Jackson <ajax <at> redhat.com> writes:

> > Should have mentioned that my Rawhide is a VirtualBox 4.1.18 guest (which
> > uses the vesa driver).
>
> Assuming the guest still brings up networking, you should be able to ssh
> into it and inspect /var/log/Xorg.0.log.  Alternatively I assume vbox
> has serial console support.

I booted in graphical mode, then when the black screen with the eternal spinning
cursor appeared, switched to VT3 and grabbed Xorg.0.log - see
http://robatino.fedorapeople.org/Xorg.0.log . The file grows gradually, so this
is just a snapshot of it. I also noticed that there is an setroubleshootd
process that respawns no matter how many times I kill it - that probably
accounts for the high CPU usage I'm currently seeing. However, the black screen
problem has existed for weeks at least. The high CPU usage has only happened for
a week or two.

I'll file bugs as soon as it's clear which of these problems are unknown.