not able to boot Rawhide 3.5.0-0.rc4 kernels in runlevel 3

Andre Robatino robatino at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 27 17:45:13 UTC 2012

Bruno Wolff III <bruno <at> wolff.to> writes:

> There was recently a bug like that, where I had to set selinux to permissive
> to be able to login in (or see the gdm background screen) as gdm was blocking
> being unable to access a file it needed. This was about 1 to 2 weeks ago
> though, so I don't think you'd still be seeing it.

"enforcing=0" gets rid of the unkillable CPU-sucking setroubleshootd process,
but doesn't help with the black screen problem. Same with "selinux=0".

I should note that the only nonstandard thing I'm doing is using VirtualBox
4.1.18. The Rawhide guest is pure 64-bit with no 3rd-party software or repos. I
was able to get the VB guest additions fully installed using the workaround at
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/10709 although that shouldn't have anything to
do with the black screen problem. Until a few days ago, there were essentially
no broken dependencies, and no obsolete packages installed. The black screen
problem predates that.