A question about "Software rendering for gnome-shell"

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Thu Mar 1 21:31:01 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-03-01 at 13:01 -0500, mwesten wrote:

> I set this up on the Alpha release and the results are below.  I'm
> assuming there's something wrong with that top entry, but I don't know
> how to fix it.
>
> Events: 50K cycles
>
>   55.99%  gnome-shell  perf-6425.map                       [.] 0x19b99e

This is how perf reports the dynamically generated code emitted by llvm.
But...

>    4.91%  gnome-shell  swrast_dri.so                       [.]
> lp_tile_b8g8r8x8_unorm_swizzle_4ub
>    3.50%  gnome-shell  swrast_dri.so                       [.]
> lp_tile_b8g8r8x8_unorm_unswizzle_4ub
>    2.60%  gnome-shell  libX11.so.6.3.0                     [.] _XPutPixel32
>    2.57%  gnome-shell  libX11.so.6.3.0                     [.] _XGetPixel32

That the percentages fall off so quickly is a little suspicious.  To me
that reads as though gnome-shell itself is being starved for work to do
and that other things are actually taking more time.  Is this perf trace
from the whole system or just of gnome-shell?

- ajax