F17 Alpha on Macbook Pro boot issues

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Mar 2 07:07:24 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 12:11 +0530, RT User wrote:
> Adam,
>

> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>         On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 00:16 +0530, RT User wrote:
>         > Hello!
>         >
>         > One of my most anticipated features of F17 is the native
>         install on
>         > Mac.
>         >
>         > I have a Late 2011 MBP with Lion and refit.  I booted F17
>         off of a
>         > USB. I get past the grub menu and couple of seconds into
>         plymouth boot
>         > fails by dropping me into dracut shell.
>         >
>         > I see
>         >
>         > <snip>
>         > dracut Warning: Unable to process initqueue
>         > dracut
>         Warning: /disk/by-label/Fedora-17-Alpha-x86_64-Live-Desk does
>         > not exist
>         > dracut Warning: /dev/mapper/live-rw does not exist
>         >
>         > Dropping to debug shell
>         > </snip>
>         >
>         > Anything I need to get past this error?
>

>         How exactly did you write the image to USB? it's important to
>         know.
>         Thanks!
>

>  I wrote the ISO using unetbootin on OS X.  Should I use dd instead?

dd or livecd-iso-to-disk , please, yeah. it's difficult enough trying to
keep track of the 'officially supported' methods for writing to USB and
make sure those work, anything third party is pretty much 'doctor, it
hurts' territory - you're welcome to try, but you're kind of on your own
if you do.

at present, if you dd a DVD or netinst image to USB, it'll be bootable
via EFI. if you dd a live image to USB it won't be. (This is dumb, we
know...it's this way because the generation process for the
'traditional' images and the generation process for the live images is
pretty different, so they wound up diverging). if you use
livecd-iso-to-disk , as long as you pass the --efi parameter, *any*
image should be EFI bootable. but remember to pass --efi , and please
use the very latest livecd-tools from updates-testing : 17.7-1.fc17 for
F17, 16.11-1.fc16 for F16, and 15.12-1.fc15 for F15. There are known
bugs with writing F17 images with any earlier version.

thanks!