package dependencies in Bodhi

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Thu Mar 15 14:13:14 UTC 2012

We have found some problems in our AutoQA tests when updates proposed in Bodhi change while we're testing them. We discovered it using this extreme update example:

http://bit.ly/xxwTU6

It was modified roughly 20 times during 2 days. We tried to fix our tests, but some questions remain. I'd like to understand more of this Bodhi process and why it might be necessary to modify your update so much.

Example: I am a maintainer of packages X and Y, X depends on an exact version of Y. Someone else is a maintainer of package Z, Z depends on an exact version of X. A bug in Y is fixed, it's rebuilt, therefore I have to rebuild X as well. Z is now broken (needs to be rebuilt against newer X).

1. When pushing newer X and Y to Bodhi, am I reminded somehow that Z needs to be rebuilt and pushed as part of this update as well? Or just our depcheck test tells you that, nothing before that?

2. Who should be rebuilding and pushing Z, me or its maintainer? Ideally it should be part of the same Bodhi update, right?

3. What might be the reason to add new and new packages to my proposed update, like we've seen in the example linked above? What use cases am I missing apart from broken dependencies?

Thanks,
Kamil