gnome-shell desktop freezes sometimes in F17

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Sun Mar 18 19:19:16 UTC 2012

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 09:17:42AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-03-18 at 08:15 +0100, Joachim Backes wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > there are 2 situations where my gnome3 desktop sometimes freezes:
> >
> > 1. during opening the favourites bar (move the mouse pointer to top-left)
> > 2. during a "yum update" inside a gnome-terminal (very weird)
> >
> > Sometimes I have to wait for a lot of seconds until the freezing
> > finishes, but in most cases I have to go to a tty window and  "pkill
> > -HUP gnome-shell".
> >
> > My video chip:
> >
> > VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated
> > Graphics Controller (rev 02)
> >
> > Anybody made similar experiences?
>
> Actually, yeah, I've seen it freeze a couple times when activating the
> overview with the mouse pointer. I guess we need to reproduce and file a
> bug with a backtrace.

I have a different repeatable freeze:
3. switch to non X vt and back.
I think the freeze is much shorter with a non debug kernel (right now
I'm running with the last f18 kernel built as a release kernel).

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device 215a
        Memory at f2000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
        Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        I/O ports at 1800 [size=8]
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
        Capabilities: [90] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
        Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
        Capabilities: [a4] PCI Advanced Features
        Kernel driver in use: i915