QA as a sub-project: draft 'governance' section for the wiki

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Mar 22 00:10:21 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-03-21 at 23:59 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> > Hey, folks.
> >
> > So here's some funny Fedora archaeology: QA is not actually officially a
> > Fedora sub-project. I didn't know this (and didn't particularly care!),
> > and neither did I know that, aeons ago (well, last year), jlaska kicked
> > off an attempt to make us one. As sub-project requests are filed as
> > Board trac tickets, I can't link to it because of the Board's silly
> > policy of making trac tickets private, so only they and jlaska can see
> > it. But I'm assured it exists. If anyone is super-interested in this
> > exciting, nay thrilling process, it's documented at
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DefiningProjects#Fedora_Projects .
> >
> > Anyway, Robyn tells me that with its customary, legendary efficiency and
> > speed, the Board has come to a swift decision a mere eight months later
> > that QA should be accepted as a sub-project.
>
> I'm a bit amazed that the board is going to approve some proposal that
> has not been presented to the QA community ( and I'm equally amazed that
> James did not present that to the QA community )
>
> I for one would like to know exactly the details and the content of that
> ticket and an justification from the board on why it's approving an
> proposal that affects the whole QA community without the QA community
> actually knowing anything about it.

As far as I understand it, it really doesn't have any particular
material impact on us. It seems to have just been one of those things
where someone looked at the list of projects -
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Projects - and wondered why the heck QA
wasn't on there. As far as I can figure out from the wiki, Official
Project Status doesn't actually confer any particular responsibilities
or rights or obligations or anything on us. I can't see where it's going
to have any kind of concrete impact on what we do, at all. It really
just seems to be a 'duh, of COURSE QA should be on that list' thing.