QA as a sub-project: draft 'governance' section for the wiki

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Mar 22 16:35:35 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-03-22 at 10:23 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 03/22/2012 08:54 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
> >
> > That sounds all very reasonable to me but ultimately that's got
> > nothing to do what so ever to do with this issue or the board. It's up
> > to the relevant projects, and even leaders within those projects, to
> > reach out to each other and sort the differences and to make the merge
> > happen if it makes sense.
> >

> Arguable it does.
>
>  From my point of view we should not make *any* changes to QA until we
> have sorted this out since as I see it things will be no better then
> they are now, until we do.
>
> Once we have sorted this out we can properly plan and map the goals we
> want to work towards and then either present and or propose that to the
> board to be "sanctioned" or just do it ourselves since we are an rather
> self sustaining community or at least we have been up to this point.

I'm really not sure there's much left to 'sort out'.

Bugzappers has been pretty dormant for the last year or so (aside from
dr johnson heroically accepting all new volunteers, thanks!) We don't
have bugzappers meetings and there haven't been any bugzapper specific
discussions on this list for months, we don't discuss approaches or
revise policies or processes or anything. My involvement with BZ dropped
drastically just because I don't have the time for it any more, and I
think a lot of others feel the same way.

There are still people bug zapping, but as far as I know, there's few if
any left who care one way or another about that whole historical tension
between BZ and QA.

I think Peter's right and it really shouldn't be a problem in any way to
approve QA as a subproject in its own right without really worrying
about the whole BZ controversy. And I also think that no-one would care
hugely if we were to just officially start considering BZ a part of QA
again; or, for that matter, if we didn't. It seems to me there is just,
unfortunately, not a huge deal of caring about BZ going on either way
right now.

By all means, if I'm wrong about this and you're sitting here reading
and thinking no, you fool, I am a person who cares deeply about the
official status of BZ!, then reply and let me know I'm wrong. :)

Anyhoo, just my take...