Fedora ARM QA testing

John Reiser jreiser at bitwagon.com
Sat Mar 24 03:14:58 UTC 2012

On 03/23/2012 02:36 PM, Paul Whalen wrote [has been snipped]:

> We have recently opened up discussions with developers and the community,
> engaging in a variety of topics to understand the requirements of moving
> the ARM secondary arch to primary ( details -https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FedoraARM)
> - with no disruption to the existing Fedora ecosphere.

The Fedora ecosphere already has spent over one thousand hours of developer time
discussing such issues, as witnessed by at least two recent threads in
devel at lists.fedoraproject.org:
   ARM as primary architecture
   RFC: Primary architecture promotion requirements
Such time likely has not been totally productive [regardless of outcome],
and certainly cannot be recouped.  This has been a major disruption already.

> Introducing existing QE tests will prove problematic as currently
> there is no anaconda support for ARM, ...

The topic of hardware+software architecture (ABI) should not be forgotten.
Some groups have decided that "armhf" is the only worthwhile variant.
I feel that ignoring "arm eabi[45]" (and specifically, v5te hardware)
is a short-sighted choice.