Weird rawhide desktop behavior

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Mar 24 19:23:26 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-03-24 at 11:43 -0700, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> On 03/24/2012 11:12 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> > On 03/24/2012 05:58 PM, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> >> Here's a strange pathology that just bit me for the first time in a
> >> while,
> >> though I've seen it before.  I'm not sure where to file a bug on this
> >> one...
> >>
> >> In short: I'll be working away, minding my own business, when the
> >> desktop
> >> goes completely dead - no response to any key or mouse events.  That
> >> said,
> >> the X server is still running; the pointer still moves with the
> >> mouse.  I
> >> can also switch to another virtual console with alt-ctrl-Fn.  Sometimes
> >> things start working again after some time (measured in minutes);
> >> sometimes I lose patience and start over.  Today I went and made
> >> lunch and
> >> it never came back.
> >
> > Hmm
> >
> > I think there was a lock screen bug mentioned upstream that fits this
> > description...
> >
> > JBG
> Same thing happened to me with RC1 Gnome on 64 bit.  Yum update was running
> in one window and I was surfing in another, each window taking up about
> half the
> 1080x1920 monitor.  All of a sudden Firefox stopped responding and Yum
> ground to a halt.
> The mouse cursor still followed mouse movements, but the keyboard  and
> mouse keys
> were dead.  No Ctrl-Alt-Fn did anything.  No LED response to CapsLock
> etc..   Some
> background process accessed the HD from time to time.  I had to use the
> hardware reset.
>
> Yum was hopelessly confused so I reinstalled RC1 and ran yum update from
> a console
> terminal.  Hooray for Xfce which works better now.  Everyone I know of
> who uses Linux
> as a tool rather dislikes Gnome 3, so let's make sure Xfce works properly.

Josh - to me, the above sound vaguely like that interrupt problem I
have, the one we were talking about the other day, where I have to hold
down keys for half a second before they register. Could it be the same?

Jonathan, Chuck - if you try holding down a key that ought to do
something for half a second instead of just pressing it, does it work?