F17-Alpha DVD basic install success with comments

stan gryt2 at q.com
Mon Mar 26 00:02:35 UTC 2012

I just successfully used the F17-Alpha DVD to do an install, and it
went very smoothly.  Of course, it was a simple install; minimal
desktop, gave it a complete small HD, wired ethernet.  I customize
extensively, so I get the base in place, make it livable from the
previous version, then expand it.

Only two things of note:
When it was booting, there were a lot of warnings at the start of the
boot process about deprecated commands.  And it took a long time for
sshd and sendmail. Not sure why;  timeouts?
I used the custom layout manager, and on the screen where the disks are
divided between those to be preserved and those to be overwritten, the
arrows didn't work, they were grayed out.  So I couldn't tell it to
ignore disks.  This is a great idea if you can get it working. The main
fear factor is overwriting something unintentionally, and this would
diminish that.  It didn't matter because on the next page, partition
layout, I just used the disk I intended.

I liked that grub2 automatically put in boot stanzas for my existing
Fedora installs - nice touch.

Overall assessment - a smooth and positive experience.

Thanks to all!