Sign of the Gnome 3 apocalypse?

夜神 岩男 supergiantpotato at yahoo.co.jp
Tue Mar 27 11:55:51 UTC 2012

--- On Tue, 2012/3/27, drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/3/27 夜神 岩男 <supergiantpotato at yahoo.co.jp>:
> >

> > --- On Tue, 2012/3/27, drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> No.
> >>
> > If you say so... but I'd like to point out that having a place where an application "might or might not" place some controls depending on a condition that is not obvious to the user makes me think this is some unneccessary and avoidable ambiguity in the interface, and I think that's what Tom was getting at.
>
> No that's not the purpose of the application menu.
> It is about splitting application specific controls away from window
> specific ones. Which makes a lot of sense to me.

I can understand that, and leaving it up to the application is definitely the right thing to do -- but pushing it to a dock-ish location sometimes, but not always, is perhaps at least an awkward move, if not a wrong one.

But I can appreciate the train of thought. We'll see how it plays out. On the other hand, traditional applications have done this by presenting application-wide controls in whatever seemed the "main window" and left peripheral windows without menus or with really specific ones. GIMP is a good example of that, come to think of it.

Anyway, here's to trying out new things.

Of course, I have to temper that with stating that I'm almost exclusively a KDE user at this point -- and really can't complain.

> > Also, the Ctrl+Alt+TAB (the old Leftie Vulcan!) -> Navigate thing reminds me of why we used to have the Space Cadet keyboard, how it got that name, and why it was eventually ditched...
>
> See other mail ... suggest a specific shortcut and file a bug.

And rightly so! :-)