[Test-Announce] Test Day 2012-03-29: GNOME Shell Software Rendering

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Mar 28 17:22:16 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-03-28 at 09:01 -0700, John Reiser wrote:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2012-03-29_Gnome_Shell_Software_Rendering#How_to_test.3F
> >
> > Please let me know if there's anything I can clarify there.
>
> Please give the next level of detail in "Testing older video cards may require creating
> and editing xorg.conf, or moving the DRI drivers for those cards out of the way to force
> fallback to llvmpipe."  Two explicit examples, or pointers to tools, would be nice.
>
> I have Radeon 9250 Pro [RV280] which today gets fallback mode on Pentium 4 with sse2.
> My skills with xorg.conf are rusty [see how successful "no xorg.conf" has been!],
> and "moving drivers out of the way" is nebulous.

Yeah, that's completely impenetrable to someone who doesn't already know
what it means. =)

I guess we're talking about an xorg.conf with "Accel" "Off", right?
(Does that disable 3D acceleration?) Remember we have xorg.conf.d
snippets, now - can we provide some such snippets ready-made for use on
the test day page?

'moving dri drivers out of the way' is referring to the files in
libdir/dri . What I have there is:

/usr/lib64/dri/i915_dri.so - early intel (rename this to test blacklisted intel chips)
/usr/lib64/dri/i965_dri.so - late intel
/usr/lib64/dri/nouveau_dri.so - late nouveau
/usr/lib64/dri/nouveau_vieux_dri.so - early nouveau (rename this to test old nvidia chips)
/usr/lib64/dri/r200_dri.so - early radeon (rename this to test blacklisted radeon chips)
/usr/lib64/dri/r300_dri.so - mid radeon
/usr/lib64/dri/r600_dri.so - late radeon
/usr/lib64/dri/radeon_dri.so - is this really really old radeon?
/usr/lib64/dri/swrast_dri.so - software rendering?
/usr/lib64/dri/vmwgfx_dri.so - vmware passthrough?

so specifically, if you have an old blacklisted Intel chip, you can
move /usr/lib64/dri/i915_dri.so out of the way in order to try it with
software rendering. If you have an old blacklisted Radeon chip, you can
move /usr/lib64/dri/r200_dri.so or possibly /usr/lib64/dri/radeon_dri.so
out of the way to test it. If you have an old (not blacklisted, we
didn't blacklist them yet, but some of them are pretty wonky at running
shell) NVIDIA chip, you can move /usr/lib64/dri/nouveau_vieux_dri.so out
of the way to try it.