F17 vs. Pentium 4

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Mar 30 03:08:21 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 20:34 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2012, Felix Miata wrote:
>
> > If you want NX for your existing motherboard you'd probably have to find a
> > Prescott 478, which may never have existed, and even if it does, might not be
> > supported by your BIOS or any available upgrade for it.
>
> I'm not looking for NX.
> I only mentioned it because in another thread someone suggested that
> NX might be the reason I couldn't get the F16 installer to boot.
> For now, I'm going to settle for F15.  That installer booted for me.
> If the F17 installer won't boot for me,
> then when F15 goes EOL, so does fedora.

I doubt your CPU has anything to do with 16 not booting. There's no
intentional change to 16 which would cause that, and I'm pretty sure we
still have quite a lot of people running on P4s.

It's much more likely to be some kind of BIOS issue or just a bad boot
medium. Why not just try a 17 image and see if it boots? Bandwidth is
cheap. Well, mostly.