Weird F17 effect: New gdm-3.4.0.1 presents mysql server account on the login screen

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Mar 30 14:41:29 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 14:59:08 +0200,
   Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de> wrote:
>Anybody sees this too: After applying all F17 updates (including
>gnome-3.4... packages), the GDM login window presents the mysql server
>account on the login screen. Why that?

Because mysql has a normal shell.

I think the scheme used is better than using just uid.

I also wonder about why some of services have valid shells. I know that
Tom Lane indicated that postgres has a shell intentionally as it helps
to be able to su to postgres to do some tasks. Probably mysql is expected
to be used the same way 9as tom packages both). But there were other ones
that seemed suspect to me. The ones I wasn't using I changed to have
a shell of /sbin/nologin.