F17 video annoyances, old hardware

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Fri Mar 30 15:54:20 UTC 2012

On 3/30/12 10:46 AM, stan wrote:
> F17 boots using nouveau for my old Nvidia hardware (MX420).  There are
> two problems with this for me.
> - nouveau doesn't allow different resolutions on consoles and gui.

Why do you want this?  If the console text is unreadably small for you,
would simply changing the console font be an acceptable solution
instead?  (Not that that currently works, afaik, but it's what I'd
rather us do.)

> - mplayer can't adjust brightness and contrast.  This is strange
>    since qiv can.

What video output method is mplayer using?  xv, gl, ...

> On F15 I'm running the old nv driver to get around these issues, and it
> works fine.  However, when I try to use it in F17, with an xorg.conf
> file, it gives the following error, and refuses to start.
>
>  <snip>
>
> I can't find this module xaa.  Can anyone tell me where it is?

You're very far down a bad path here.  XAA is going away because it's
useless.  nv is going away because we want you using nouveau, and if you
have issues with nouveau we'd rather they get reported so they can be fixed.

- ajax